Sensors and artificial intelligence can allow apps to be pro-active and adaptive. These can provide personalized and context-aware services, such as automatically silencing our phones depending on where we are and what we are doing, or automatically detecting anomalous events regarding elderly loved ones. As promising as these services and apps are, there remains an issue of how to understand them when they misbehave. We research on how to improve understanding and trust in context-aware applications by eliciting requirements for explanations, developing techniques to automatically generate explanations, and evaluating the positive impact and compromises of explanations.
- Lim, B. Y., Dey, A. K., Avrahami, D. 2009. Why and Why Not Explanations Improve the Intelligibility of Context-Aware Intelligent Systems. In Proceedings of the 27th international Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (Boston, MA, USA, April 04 – 09, 2009). CHI ’09. ACM, New York, NY, 2119-2128. (Nominated for Best Paper).
- Lim, B. Y., Dey, A. K. 2009. Assessing Demand for Intelligibility in Context-Aware Applications. In Proceedings of the 11th international Conference on Ubiquitous Computing (Orlando, Florida, USA, September 30 – October 03, 2009). Ubicomp ’09. ACM, New York, NY, 195-204.
- Lim, B. Y., Dey, A. K. 2010. Toolkit to Support Intelligibility in Context-Aware Applications. In Proceedings of the 12th ACM international Conference on Ubiquitous Computing (Copenhagen, Denmark, September 26 – 29, 2010). Ubicomp ’10. ACM, New York, NY, 13-22.
- Lim, B. Y., Dey, A. K. 2011. Design of an Intelligible Mobile Context-Aware Application. In Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Human Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services (MobileHCI ’11). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 157-166. DOI=10.1145/2037373.2037399
- Lim, B. Y., Dey, A. K. 2011. Investigating Intelligibility for Uncertain Context-Aware Applications. In Proceedings of the 13th international conference on Ubiquitous computing (UbiComp ’11). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 415-424. DOI=10.1145/2030112.2030168 .
- Lim, B. Y. 2012. Improving understanding and trust with intelligibility in context-aware applications. CMU PhD Dissertation.
- Lim, B. Y., Dey, A. K. 2012. Weights of Evidence for Intelligible Smart Environments. ACM Ubicomp 2012 Workshop on Adaptable Service Delivery in Smart Environments.
- Lim, B. Y. and Dey, A. K. 2012. Field Evaluation of IM Autostatus, an Intelligible Context-Aware Application. CMU-HCII Technical Report.
- Lim, B. Y., Dey, A. K. 2013. Evaluating Intelligibility Usage and Usefulness in a Context-Aware Application. In Human-Computer Interaction. Towards Intelligent and Implicit Interaction. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2013. 92-101.